Friday, January 08, 2010

Unemployment Day... 40 something?



I've lost track of how long I have been unemployed. It feels like years, but I realize it has only been about 5 weeks really. (But give me some credit here, it was a really crazy 5 weeks.) I'm so over it. I so very badly want a job and something to do! I spoke to an interesting company about a part-time remote position that I would be able to start very soon. I am really hoping that will pan out. It doesn't pay too much better than my unemployment insurance, but I don't care. It will give me something to do for a few months (something I actually enjoy doing), and that is all that matters to me right now.
In the meantime, it is all about sitting and waiting. I've had several great interviews, and I'm continuing to apply to jobs as I find them. There are two I really would love to hear back from. One of them I am absolutely sure I would accept if they were to make an offer (but it is too early in the game for that still). This whole patience thing is killing me. I'm not very good at it at all!

Sidenote-
today I spoke to a company in another state about an interesting position. I liked it, it sounds good, but when we got to the salary part, I was very disappointed. It pays a lot less than what I was making. But the recruiter suggested that cost of living there may be significantly lower, and therefore the salary acceptable. So I did some homework and looked up cost of living calculators. It was a total joke. I'm wondering how often they update their data! It suggested to me that the cost of living in Provo, UT was the same as it is in Roanoke, VA. It (and by "it" I mean the 4 different calculators I used on different websites) even suggested that houses cost the same in each city. Um, so not true! I live in a lovely 4 bedroom, 2 ba, 2 car garage home with about 2000 sq ft. It would sell right now for about $200-220K. (I'm guessing, but I don't think I'm too far off.) This same exact house in VA would EASILY go for $325K or more. How do I know? I've done a lot of online house shopping over the past few weeks. And I dare you to find a one bedroom apartment with a washer and dryer, in a great neighborhood, with full amenities in the DC area for $700/mo. It is ridiculous! You can't trust those things!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about the cost of living in DC. I consider myself truly blessed to have found the place I did at the price I pay. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.