Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Pride and Prejudice Rocks

It turns out Chris is a nice, smart, and yet horribly misguided fellow. On the nice and smart front, he admits to reading my column on a regular basis. So he can't be that bad. He's even commented on it multiple times on his blog. So we'll forgive him some bad writing, and retract the previously thought mean comments. However, he is horribly misguided. He's also commented many times on Pride and Prejudice, and not in a good way.

P&P is one of the best books ever written. Juli and I even "loosely based" our own book on P&P. Some of the best quotes ever come from Jane Austen-

I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.
Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way. (From Emma)
A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of. (Mansfield Park)
Where any one body of educated men, of whatever denomination, are condemned indiscriminately, there must be a deficiency of information, or...of something else. (Mansfield Park)
In every power, of which taste is the foundation, excellence is pretty fairly divided between the sexes. (Northanger Abbey)
I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other. (Emma)
At my time of life opinions are tolerably fixed. It is not likely that I should now see or hear anything to change them. (Sense and Sensibility)
We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of a man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him (Pride and Prejudice)
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn? (Pride and Prejudice)
It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. (P&P)
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife (P&P)
One cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on something witty.
If there is anything disagreeable going on men are always sure to get out of it.
What strange creatures brothers are!

A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.
Human nature is so well disposed towards those who are in interesting situations, that a young person, who either marries or dies, is sure to be kindly spoken of.

Nobody minds having what is too good for them.

How can you ever argue with the genius of Jane Austen??



3 comments:

  1. "Don't call me a mindless philosopher you overweight glob of grease!" (C3PO-- Star Wars: A New Hope)
    "General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected." Anakin, Ep: 3
    "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" Padme, Ep: 3
    "You know, sometimes I amaze even myself." Han Solo, Ep 4
    "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" —Princess Leia, Ep 4
    "I can arrange that! You could use a good kiss!" —Han Solo, Ep 5
    "Don't blame me. I'm just an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal." —C-3PO, Ep 5
    "Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."- Obi-Wan, Ep 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:51 PM

    Down, girl. I think he has finally learned the hard way that you shoot to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Nah...I think it was an overabundance of men who like Keira Knightly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.