Thursday, January 19, 2006

Impressions

Quite simply put, I am easily amused and yet rarely impressed. The better you know me, the more obvious that statement will become. It explains a lot of things about me that we usually just chalk up to ADD. I have lots of "surface friends" with very few deep inside friends. (This is no way means I am NOT impressed with my surface friends. It means they amuse me and that I expect that some day they could impress me.) Its why I will watch tons of movies, but only own 8. And why I only own 10 CD's total. I only buy things that truly impress me. Same with memorabilia from my travels- I only buy things that impressed me, not amused me. If I bought everything that amused me, I'd go broke way too fast. Of course, this theory can also be applied to men and my fleeting relationships. Lots of men amuse me. Its been a long freaking time since one actually impressed me. I am patient though, and will give a guy with some potential a chance. It comes with age, and I have no choice in the matter if I don't want to stay an old maid forever. (Bring it on, guys! Impress me! It has been known to happen! I'll even give you a hint- a sense of humor and total emotional honesty is all it takes.) (Granted by that I mean- MY kind of sense of humor, and total emotional honesty that doesn't freak me out.) Moving on...

So when I share the following few items with you it is with complete sincerity that I tell you its because I am so impressed by them that I had to share.

1. The Kite Runner- this book is worth reading. The story of a man who grew up as a child in Afghanistan. Amazing story-telling abilities coupled with a great story to tell. You won't want to put it down.

2. Million Little Pieces- there is a reason Oprah is standing up for this guy. Read him.

3. "Joseph: A Nashville Tribute to the Prophet" (this is for my LDS friends primarily). I am a fan of country music, but the thought of LDS music and country made my skin crawl. I went to see this band perform over the weekend at the referral of my dad, a non-country person. I have since purchased the CD. Its the 10th CD I have ever purchased. That is how impressed I am. If there is a woman out there who can listen to the Emma song and not cry, she has no heart. Its that simple. Even if you are not a country fan, I'd still recommend this CD. Learn more here- http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4196210 .

4. And last but not least something that impressed me this week was Red Arrow remembering my birthday in spite of everything else going on in his life. It takes a special kind of person to stop and sing happy birthday while enduring that kind of pain. Thanks B, you really impressed me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:01 AM

    "(Granted by that I mean- MY kind of sense of humor, and total emotional honesty that doesn't freak me out.)"

    Now I *really* have to post about my pseudo-date/pseudo stalker these last couple days. I wish blogger and LJ had compatible login so I could just add you so you could see my friends-only posts. But I haven't written anything on it for anyone yet. Let's just say: WAY too much emotional honesty before he even had more than a 5 minute conversation with me at FHE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Million Little Pieces? It is a very bad book! Oprah doesn't know the truth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.