Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mental illness? Or just from Springville, Utah?

Actual conversation at the grocery store:

Pregnant Clerk: (holding up large red and green fruit) Ooh, what is this one called?

Me: That's a mango.

Pregnant Clerk: I've never tried one of those. You're really adventurous!

Me- blank stare back

Pregnant Clerk: Ooh, green peppers! I just tried my first one a few days ago.

Me: Your first green pepper?

PregnantClerk: Yeah, it wasn't what I thought at all. It wasn't spicy like I thought. And it was real crunchy.

Me: Wow. That's crazy.

Pregnant Clerk: Yeah, some people even put green peppers on their pizza. I bet you're one of those people who tries everything, aren't you?

Me: That's not a green pepper, those are granny smith apples.

Pregnant Clerk: Oh, I know, but they're green like peppers. I don't eat green.

Me: Oh.

I fear for the unborn.

8 comments:

  1. That is soooo funny!! I'd like to blame it on her pregnancy-- but you never know:) LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:22 PM

    The answer has got to be S-ville. The 4 food groups in yer neck o' the woods would prolly be steak, other meat, products derived from potatoes, and jello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she was dropped on her head as a young'un, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just plain scary.

    I'm wondering how long she's worked at a grocery store - because if you are the first person she's encountered to buy peppers... then yeah, the whole town must be affected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a confession. She may not hae been pregnant. It was kinda hard to tell. I'll be nice and assume she was about 5 mos along.

    And sorry folks, but no, you just can't make this stuff up. That was the conversation verbatim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are hilarious.

    you made me laugh out loud for the first time all day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Scary, yet, interesting. Remind me to go over the difference between granny smith apples and green peppers with my four year old. Oh wait - he already knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've encountered this type of person all over the US. But sadly, there are more of them in rural Utah. Sorry girl, but you're the only culture some of those people have ever met!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.