Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Filling in the details

After my Monday post complaining about not being able to control things in my life right now, things took a very unexpected turn. It wasn't something that had been on the list of things to worry about before. I lost my job very unceremoniously. Oh, and did I mention I haven't been paid? Oh the joys of working for a volatile start up. But hey, I don't work there now!
So no job, no money. It's a great combination. But like I said, the good news is that more than one former client has come to me with work to do in the meantime.
There's a lot going on, like how my old company is getting sold to a new company. Today my whole team was interviewed (including me) by the new company. And I couldn't be happier or prouder that my team all went in there and defended the team. No one took an "each man for himself" mentality. And given the circumstances, that is amazing. I wouldn't have questioned anyone's motives for going in there with that mentality. It makes me feel like no matter what crap may be said about how and why I had to leave the company, I know I did a good job there.
Now there is a lot to think about and figure out and question about the future. Where to go and what to do. And more importantly, what to do about money in the meantime?!
My advice to the world, start ups can be fun and exhilarating to work for. The highs and successes are fantastic. But the reality is that when they tank, it happens fast, and you'll get little to no warning to save yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.