Friday, July 25, 2008

Funeral talk

I have funerals on my mind this morning. My family is right at this moment attending the funeral for a good friend of my brother and sister. The friend passed away last Saturday completely unexpected. I believe he was only 22 years old. He played football and video games with my brother in high school, and was a regular fixture in the crowd of boys that hung around our house. And like many of my brother's friends, suddenly noticed when my sister was old enough and hot enough to not be thought of has someone else's little sister anymore.
I've endured many deaths and funeral in the last ten years. I've talked about that before. But this one was different (they are all always different) because it didn't really affect me. It affected my two siblings (and my parents who knew him as well). And the big sister in me has had her heart breaking all week for what my brother and sister are feeling. I know too well the pain of losing a friend so young and out of the blue. In this case, the autopsy was completely inconclusive and we have no idea why a perfectly healthy young man just stopped living.
My dad has been telling me about the funeral. He described it as unorthodox and fun. And I got to thinking. I really really don't see funerals as a religious ceremony. I'm not sure why. I do see the reasoning behind religious ceremonies at a funeral though. But really, I want funerals to be a celebration. I don't want them to be more sad and somber than they already are. The funeral today had pictures and country music. Which is just perfect for the redneck boy being remembered. I've said more than once to anyone I think might remember, that I want "Bye Bye Baby" by the Bay City Rollers played at my funeral. I would also ask that my casket be carried out by friends on roller skates, but I don't think that would be safe for my dead body, or the pall bearers.
So I want to know what you think? What do you want your funeral to be like? Deeply somber and religious? Fun and happy? No funeral, just toss me to the fishes? Tell me! Got any other great songs for a funeral?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.