Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Next!

Admit it, you were hoping I'd have a fun report on my date tonight. Instead, here's what you get- NEXT! Bring on the next guy, please!

Let's discuss something a little more fun- the books on my nightstand! I glanced at them today and realized I couldn't be a more cliche single girl. The first book (title redacted) is nothing short of a slut romance novel. I confess I have a weakness for slutty romance novels. I only read them every great once in a while. Maybe not entirely indicative of a cliche single girl, but it is indicative of a girl who ain't getting any.



Next- "The New York Regional Mormon Singles Dance," by Elna Baker. If you haven't heard about this book yet, you really ought to go check it out. A 28 year old virgin's memoirs on dating. This is not an LDS author writing for the LDS audience. It is an author writing about being LDS and dating for the non-LDS audience. After reading her short story on MSN entitled, "Yes, I'm a 27 year old Virgin," I couldn't help but buy the book. I'm only on page 4 so far. I'll get back to you when I'm done. (I predict that to be on Wednesday.) (Also, you have to read as far as the Frenchman and the "vagine" in the MSN story!)



As I was surfing around Amazon buying the NYRMSD book, I stumbled upon "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress." Yes, again it is the memoir of a single woman raised in a conservative religion, trying to find happiness in being divorced. I read a few synopsis of it and had to buy it. I plan to get to it this weekend. I'll report back later. I'm looking forward to the differences and similarities between the struggles of a Mormon and a Mennonite.

Maybe one of these days I'll write my own memoirs of the story of the single, LDS girl, determined to do things her own way and on her timetable, in spite of what the world around her taught her to do. Of course throw in, "career success," and "single (foster) mother" into that mix, and you have a very different story.

Maybe. Someday.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, just the titles make me need those books. PLEASE report on both so I can know whether they are worth reading. Are you on Goodreads? If so are we linked on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kipluck- I just checked. Yes, we are linked on Goodreads. I just added both books to my currently reading shelf. I'll be sure to add reviews on there next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a review for the Mennonite one. Want to read it.

    There were Mennonite colonies where I grew up. I sold them LA Gear sneakers to wear with their prairie skirts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.