Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More on Haitian Orphans

Want to hear me cry on the radio? Well, here's your chance! http://www.fsrn.org/audio/relief-workers-struggle-find-solutions-haitian-orphans/6153
 (taken at the airport, waiting to get the orphans on the plane)

This interview was conducted at the Port au Prince airport, literally just minutes after we got the 66 orphans on to the plane. To give you more context, I was suddenly placed in charge of 13 orphans (which turned out later to be 15 orphans!). We (the volunteers and security agents standing around us) were all heartbroken that we didn't get all of the children on the plane. I was probably also in a good amount of shock! It was our first true day in-country, and I was in a very surreal situation.

That all being said, I still stand by what I said. But I do want to go on record as saying that I do support the US government in how they are handling the situation. I am grateful for all that the Haitian government did on that day to get the orphans out (which at the time of this interview, I had no clue about!).

At the end of the interview I pretty much lost it. I wasn't trying not to cry anymore. The interviewer, Dolores, was also crying. She put her equipment down and asked to hold a baby. She wasn't the only stander-by to just pitch in and help us that day. We were truly blessed with wonderful angels helping us that day.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 PM

    This is so awesome! I wish I was one of them to be able to come and help. Wishing now, there was another way I can help here in the States, living in South Florida, IM enjoying your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.