Friday, September 10, 2010

the best darn spaghetti sauce you'll ever try

Friends, because I like you, and you like me, I'm going to share with you the best spaghetti sauce recipe you will ever try. I made this yesterday for my sister and me, and seriously, we almost didn't have enough to actually put on the noodles. We kept snitching some while I was making it. It was the best sauce I have ever had in my entire life.

And now I will share with you the secret.

Erin's From Scratch Spaghetti Sauce
1. Heat 2 tb olive oil in pan.
2. Dice up half of a red or vidalia onion. Toss into the oil.
3. Add a bay leaf, basil leaf, and a leaf or two of oregano. And the not all that secret ingredient of 5 big beautiful bulbs of roasted garlic.
4. Before you do all of that peel and cut up 10 roma tomatoes. The darker red the better. Cut them into small pieces, not quite diced.
5. When the frying onions and greenery look good and drowned and dead, add in the tomatoes.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Then turn it down to simmer, and let it simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours.
8. At about the 1 hour mark, throw in a fourth cup of sugar, and salt it to taste. Stir it in well.
9. Give it at least ten minutes, stirring it up well. Then test it and see if you are missing any particular flavors or you want more of something. (I don't like parsley, cilantro, etc, so I don't add anything else in.)

10. Total let the tomatoes simmer for 2 hours.
11. If you like meat with your spaghetti, take the garlic and the leaves out of the sauce, and add it to the meat as you brown it.
12. Also, you can take the roasted, tomatoey, garlic, and put it with some butter in a dish. Melt the butter with the garlic like that, and then spread it on your Italian or French bread.
Yes, its a lot of garlic, but trust me, its good.
All of that made probably enough for 3-4 people, but Steph and I sneaked so much of it during the process, it only made 2 servings. Two plus hours is a lot of work for 1 meal, but it was totally worth it. As soon as someone feels like sharing a ton of tomatoes from their garden again, I'll be doing it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.