Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Peace Corps

I officially turned in my application to the Peace Corps this week. TADUM!!! I'm rather proud of myself for finally doing this. The decision to leave the world behind for 27 months without pay isn't exactly an easy one. Now, before you get too excited with me, let me point out that it will be MONTHS before I will hear back from them. And that I just barely made the deadline to get in for their July 2011 deployment. So this ain't no fast moving ship. And to answer the inevitable question, no I have no idea where they will send me, if in fact they pick me at all. Did you know the Peace Corps gets 15,000 applicants a year for 4,000 spots? So while I'm announcing I applied, I'm also putting myself out there for a little humiliation because I may not get picked.
In the meantime, while I'm all excited and gung ho on the Peace Corps, I looked up PC blogs. And oh my goodness!! I've found lots! If you look here on my right hand sidebar, towards the bottom, you will see links to some of the PC blogs I have found. And I'm sure I'll be adding more every day. I can't get enough of them. They are so interesting!!
So my question to you, fair readers, is this, if you could go anywhere in the world to do service, where would you want to go? And what kind of service would you want to do?

3 comments:

  1. I must say, you are very inspiring! Taking a bummer of a deal like unemployment and finding the joy in life--go you!

    I thought about the Peace Corps at one point, but never seriously enough to actually research it. I'm not sure where I'd want to go and what I'd want to do; my heart hurts when I think that anyone on this earth is suffering, and I feel helpless. I'm glad for organizations that Do Something about it, and I hope you get chosen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go! I'm happy you are excited about this venture. It is great to be doing something that you love. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! The process may go a little quicker than you realize at this point.. I submitted my application in the middle of July, had my interview in August, and am nominated to leave in February! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.