Monday, May 16, 2011

Miracle Drugs


Antibiotics are a miracle I tell you. After 3 weeks of a little cough, slight sore throat, and "Utah allergies," I got home on Friday night about as sick as I thought I could be. I was wrong. When I woke up on Saturday I was worse. And by Sunday I knew I needed to get to a doctor for real help, but quite frankly, I just didn't have the energy in me to do it. For those 3 days I was taking Sudafed, Mucinex, Benadryl, Claritin, and cough drops, and was still so congested that I couldn't sleep for more than a few minutes at a time.
So today (Monday morning) I got up, used all my energy to get dressed and take a shower, went back to sleep for a while, built up my energy again and went to urgent care. In this little town urgent care with its oddly high number of hospitals, urgent care is just a department at the hospital (not a "doc in the box," as my dad likes to call them). I checked in, went through triage, and got sent over to the ER waiting room instead. Three hours later I finally got seen by a doctor. Ten minutes later I had a diagnosis and was out the door.
One hour later I took my antibiotics and cough meds. Three hours later I took round 2. And now, a grand total of 12 hours after checking in to the hospital this morning, I feel like a human being again. I even cleaned the kitchen and unpacked some boxes. 12 hours ago I had to email someone to say I was too tired to handle making a phone call, and right now I have so much energy I'm considering walking the dog. (But I won't because it is raining and dark, and I don't really have quite that much energy yet. I just think I do.)
I'm telling you, antibiotics are amazing. Also, I haven't coughed in about 3 hours! (Which tells me I need to go take another dose before I start coughing again.) Going from the sickest I have ever been to feeling nearly human in such a short period of time is a miracle. I really can't believe how amazing modern medicine is sometimes!
(Sadly, today's visit ended my 3 years without a real doctor's appointment streak. Oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.