Thursday, September 15, 2011

How to be Humbled by 8am

When I got to my office this morning there was a bag of women's clothes on my chair. My local partner came in and explained that a woman arrived at our shelter last night 8 mos pregnant, homeless, and abused, needing help. The clothes were for her. The woman is now sitting in my room while everyone around me works to find 
her emergency aid.
I was humbled to find that the bag of clothing came from the country director's wife. I wonder how often he and his family make donations like this. In the short time I have been here I've come to know him as a very kind, smart, and loving man, committed to the cause of fighting child and sex trafficking. It is probably a miracle that they have anything left to give. 
Tomorrow I will be making an unusual Saturday trip into the office so that I can be given a tour of the slums. I don't think it is appropriate to say I am 'looking forward to it.' How can anyone 'look forward' to seeing the absolute saddest scenes of humanity? 
When I come in I am bringing two of my dresses that I brought with me. They are loose and baggy and should fit a pregnant woman. I've had a few friends ask how they can help here. It isn't practical to send clothing or toys from the States. What you would have to spend in shipping alone would be much better put to use in a cash donation. Even just $10 makes a huge difference to the families here. $10 is easily grocery money for a week. Or would buy this woman a dress, shoes, a mat to sleep on, and a good meal. If you would like to make a donation (large or small) visit http://www.riverkidsproject.org/donate/. If you are Stateside sending the money via Paypal is easiest. Look for the blue box on the side and have your donation made in less than a minute!

THANKS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.