Thursday, September 22, 2011

The real world awaits

The Real World greatly lacks fish amok served in coconuts, and sweet green drinks

Over the weekend I got two new roommates in my room. I am very happy to finally have someone in my big room with me. I was getting lonely at times in there knowing that everyone else had a buddy. Well, my wish came true! And I got two roommates! Yeah!
One of them (Canada) asked me yesterday what it feels like to be going home so soon. She's here for 77 days (apparently she's counting). I laughed and said, "I wouldn't know. I haven't thought about it at all!" Home and my real life seem so far away that I can't even imagine it all.
Well, that was until this morning (Cambodia's morning, not the US morning) when I got the email that floored me. The Peace Corps. It's finally time. We set up a time for them to call me (in a WEEK! I may die of anticipation!) and do my absolute final step. And it is entirely possible that I will find out in that phone call where they are sending me.
Now the real world is kicking me in the butt. I have a life back home. I have to start thinking about it! I don't know if I want to yet. I'm not even sure I can. Suddenly the Peace Corps is a really scary thing. No, Cambodia hasn't scared me off from the PC. If anything, being here has me seriously contemplating other options. The options where I go the NGO route. Or maybe get a "real" job and buy a house and get to work on adopting. But I don't think I could ever do it- that is, not do the Peace Corps. If I miss my chance now it will likely be another 20 years before I could do it again. Maybe less, who knows?
Either way, the real world awaits. And apparently it requires that I think about it. I'll see you in about 2 weeks, Real World. 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:43 AM

    Seriously, look you are a champion for making it this far down the road without quitting. Talk about a marathon of perseverance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.