Monday, August 19, 2013

Channeling Creativity


I feel like all I ever do is complain about how exhausted I am. I'm sure no one wants to hear that, but really, it's true. I'm exhausted. Yesterday I woke up early to attend 8 a.m. church, turned off the alarm, put my head back down, and slept for 5 more hours. I never even got out of bed yesterday except to walk the dog a few times. I took a few naps plus went to bed early.
You could say I was a little bit tired!
But today I feel like I'm almost back in the game. Or maybe I've just finally accepted that I will have to live with this level of exhaustion? Either way, I'm good to go.
I've joined a new writing group which has helped me get more organized and motivated to finish writing book 3 in the Haley and Cam series. It will be titled, "Coming Up Next!" to continue the news theme. This book takes a bit of a departure from the pacing and day to day style of the past two books. But we get to know Cam and Haley in ways we haven't seen them before. I think Haley and Cam fans will like this unexpected twist to the story and storyline.
It is nice to feel creative and motivated to write again. It isn't a skill I can just turn on and off like some people can do. I have to be in a creative mind set with few distractions in order to write fiction. I've tried to just churn out material before, and it is always a disappointment, and gets tossed out before long. But balancing day to day life makes it hard for me to flip the switch to the right brain and channel my creativity.


"This Just In!" is $2.99 on Kindle

I often find that I can turn on the right brain or creative side by moving more (taking a walk, working out, dancing, etc.) or being near water. Somehow just being near a lake, beach, river, or sometimes even just the pool, turns on my creative side.
I went tubing on the Shenandoah River this past weekend. It was supposed to be a social event, but it often is not. It's easy to get separated from the group and never really get back to them. I ended up floating alone and away from the others for most of the trip. At first I was annoyed because I paid and gone on the trip with the sole purpose of meeting people. And instead I was floating solo. Not what I had in mind! But before long my mind started to wander to Haley and Cam, and by the time I was out of the river, I had 50 pages written in my head.
Funny how bodies of water have that effect on me!
(now, to just find the time and energy to put those 50 pages on paper!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.