Sunday, January 14, 2007

JellyRolls Baby!

It's not a trip to Orlando without a trip to JellyRolls, my favorite dueling piano singalong bar. I recruited Carlton and Jason to go with me, and we had a little bit of fun.



My coworkers had a hard time appreciating that I have ever been a regular at any bar. But JellyRolls isn't just any bar. At one point in time I was a full fledged groupie for the pianist in the black shirt.


For those of you unclear on how the dueling piano singalong bar works, it's like this. There are 2 pianos on a stage, as seen above. These pianists are incredible. They can sing and play ANYTHING.




Then people like me (or you) write down a song on a napkin, and put the napkin and a tip ($2) on the piano. Here's Jason demonstrating how to get up on the stage. The guys play and sing your song, and, if you choose a great crowd pleasing song, everyone sings along. It's not like karaoke, and please don't insult JellyRolls by thinking that it is.


Some songs require a little bit of audience participation, such as "New York, New York." This is one of my favorite songs to sing at JellyRolls, so I put it in and made sure my favorite pianist saw it was from me. As a result, he sang my song, and invited all the single girls up on stage to do the infamous Rockettes kickline. This is me leaving the stage making a slightly crazy expression.



Jason and Carlton soon came to discover the true joy that JellyRolls and a little alcohol brings. It turns out that Carlton is a quiet drunk. Jason, on the other hand, is a feet on the bar, dancing solo, happy drunk. I am a completely sober, hyped up on caffeine, but appears to be drunk, drunk.


A completely sober drunk with an oddly large tongue.


No matter how much fun, alcohol, or singing you particpate in at JellyRolls it is hard not to get sucked into the gigantic couch in the Boardwalk Hotel on your way out. Especially if you stayed for last call and sang your heart out to every single song...


So my Orlando trip finally comes to a much desired end. 9 days... Ugh. I can't believe I have survived. It's almost hard to fathom that tomorrow when I wake up I am actually leaving. It's hard to fathom that I don't have to wake up at 6 to go to the show tomorrow. I GET TO GO HOME! YEAH!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!



1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.