Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Day 1 of Unemployment

One day of unemployment down. Let the countdown begin.

I have to admit I'm not entirely heartbroken over losing my job. In fact, I may even be secretly relieved. I hate working in a negative environment where I can't trust anywhere and feel like people are constantly working to tear me down. And I'm excited to find a new opportunity to learn and grow in.

I applied for several jobs today, got several great leads from friends, and even had one phone interview! I applied for a job and two hours later they called me! Talk about confidence building! I am happy to see that there are actually several great jobs out there in my field. Its just a matter of applying and getting noticed now.

Most of my day was spent in tears though. My grandfather is very sick and my heart is breaking for him. I feel awful for the family members who have to make some very very difficult decisions for him this week. And I'm extremely sad that I can't just get in my car and go home. I have to be slightly more responsible than that and deal with the issues here in my own life first. Issues like pay the bills and figure out where my next paycheck will come from. I know this will sound silly at first, but I do have a favor to ask of my friends. I'm trying to find a way to get home as cheaply as possible. Gas is gas and there isn't much I can do to save money there. But I was thinking that I bet a lot of my friends have coupons for fast food places, or maybe even free game pieces from McDonalds that could score me some free food? If you are thinking a free Big Mac isn't going to help much, just remember I am facing about 16 meals on the road (8 there and back). A burger costs $4 x 16= $64. A few free burgers can go a long way!

Does that remind anyone else of the old Popeye line, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today?"

Having been down this unemployment road before, I know how easy it is to fall into depression. Its a scary slippery slope and one I am determined to avoid this time around. So I'm going to use my social networking sites to say at least one positive thought each day.

Positive thought of the day:
A few days ago I jokingly told my brother that I wished I could have another simple bout of kidney stones just so I could spend a few days in bed catching up on all my favorite tv shows on Hulu. Now I get to do that, but without the pain of the stones! Win win!

5 comments:

  1. I'll take you out to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:01 AM

    we don't have food coupons. but we are pretty much on the way to DC. you are welcome to stay here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your travel takes you through Denver, you are welcome to stay at the Glancy B&B!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie Brooks3:38 PM

    Erin send me your address and I will put 2 books of coupons in the mail. There are 12 free McD's items in each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are you driving home, and by what route? I have the week off between Christmas and New Year's, and would carpool with you to save us both on gas if possible. I was thinking of leaving a few days before Christmas and getting back by New Year's weekend, since NYD is on a Friday. I'm heading to western IL, which would save you gas halfway there. It would solve the problem for me, too, bc I'm not sure I'll have enough money for fixing my tires *and* gas money home. If you're taking I-80 via IL, or even going through KS (I could catch a ride with my aunt & uncle from there if necessary), we might be able to work something out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.