Tuesday, January 19, 2010

(Insert Happy Theme Music Here)

I had a very fun birthday weekend. It started on Friday night at my friend Violet's birthday party. There was a big friendly dinner followed by dancing. I haven't gone dancing too much since moving to Utah, so that was a very fun change of pace for me.

For the past several unemployed weeks I have had some serious insomnia. Friday night was no exception. I finally fell asleep at 5:30 am, and woke up on my own at 8:30 am. (WHY WHY WHY???) So I got up and joined some friends at a zumba class.
HOLY COW. Zumba is just plain evil! And tons of fun!! I loved it and hated it. And I can't wait to go again.
Which reminds me, I finished the HCG diet on Friday. (And enjoyed my birthday pizza on Saturday.) I hit a plateau I just couldn't break. I lost a total of 15 lbs. I didn't quite make my goal to weigh the same on my 35th birthday as I did on my 25th. But nonetheless, I am very happy with how I look and feel right now. I plan to really ramp up exercising to keep the weight off, tone up, and improve a few stubborn spots. I think Zumba and some serious treadmill time will be a part of that.
After 3 hours of sleep and a killer work out, you would think I would have been tired. But no, I was buzzed. So I cleaned my house till I decided that was just stupid. So I took some Nyquil and slept for the next 5 hours. (And I wonder why my sleep cycle is so off?)
Then it was birthday time!!
First it was dinner at a fancy pizza and gelato place in Salt Lake City. I had several friends come out and join me there. It was a lot of fun! I love when friends from different aspects of my life come together in one place. Sometimes it can be hard to juggle and get everyone to enjoy themselves when you do that. But me, I love it. My friends are all wonderful people, and I'm never surprised to see them all hitting it off and making new friends across the groups. Saturday was no exception.
And I must say, after nearly 2 months without pizza, (which is normally consumed at least once a week in my house) Settebellos hit the spot! I can't wait to go back and try it again.





After dinner we went over to one of my most favorite places in SLC! Keys on Main dueling piano singalong bar. We met up with several other friends there, and had fun losing our voices and singing along!
The piano men never hesitate to tease the birthday VIP's at the bar. I'm not sure which song my friends really requested be sung for me. But I am confident they didn't really request "Drink You Pretty." (Lyrics- Every time I drink a beer, It makes your lazy eye disappear. Every time I do a shot, I think you're hot, but I know you're not. Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty.)
The piano man assured me and the room that they only sing that song for the prettiest girls. So I suppose I was supposed to feel flattered. They (and by they I mean the two piano men) invited me to sit on the piano, and I declined quietly, mostly because I was wearing very tall stilettos, and a very short for me dress. I didn't think I could get on the piano without flashing the audience. Not that I got the chance to vocalize that. I just said, "I'll pass on that." So the piano man said into the microphone for everyone to hear, "Don't worry. It will hold you up. We've had much larger girls get up there." (This was before I heard their choice of song.) Not exactly flattering. (I've actually stood on top of their piano before to dance to Baby Got Back. I was wearing jeans that time.) So the piano guy came over and helped me hop up on the piano. I'm still just hoping I didn't flash the whole room. (No one tell me if I did!)


They made a point out of explaining how I met all the criteria for them to sing their favorite song- blond, cute, and sexy. (I'm not usually called sexy, so I did like that!) I got a big laugh out of the song, and had a little fun playing with a pink boa while sitting on the piano. They also sang happy birthday to me when they were done.


The piano man came over to help me down from the piano, and gave me a hug. I only mention that because they had appropriately embarrassed some other birthday girls earlier. He didn't hug them. While he hugged me he told me privately thank for being a good sport, and that they only do it to the most beautiful girls. He then paused, still hugging me, and said, "and you have sexy legs!" So for that I forgave him the silly song.

There were several dozen more pictures taken throughout the night. They are all up on Facebook and properly tagged. I had a great time. Thank you to everyone who came!

Sunday, my actual birthday, I was planning on staying home, and keeping things low key. It was nice to not clean the house, and just veg out for a day. And then my awesome neighbors surprised me! Becky and Liz and their kids all came over with pictures and cards the kids had made me, and sang to me. I got lots of hugs from my favorite kids. And all of their artwork is now displayed on my fridge. That was a very fun surprise! Thank you guys so much!!

There were lots of phone calls with my siblings, and some Skyping with my nephews. I love Skype. It really does make not living near family a whole lot easier!

After that I went over to neighbor Becky's for some birthday cake. She always worries that her kids are jumping on me, or are too loud. Little does she realize I love going over there because I miss being near family and all my little cousins. I love playing with the kids. And the adult conversation too!

And then there was Monday and my birthday time with "Little." She was determined to give me a great gift. And that she did! She made several pictures for me, (all hanging on the fridge), got me a movie (Princess Bride- I love it!), chocolates, cookies, a facial, lipgloss, a nail file, and more. The girl has me pegged! And she was so cute. She got all dressed up in the outfit I had bought her for Christmas. It was the first time I had seen it on her. I was so worried when I got it. She's right at that in-between phase between juniors and kids clothes. I bought it in the juniors section, convinced it would be too big. Instead, she probably only has a few months left in it, before it is too small. And she looks so grown up in it!!

But then, after I saw how cute she was, I told her to go change so we could go swimming! We had a lot of fun splashing around in the indoor water park. After that we headed over to my favorite DC-area restaurant that can now be found in Utah- 5 Guys Burgers. I introduced Little to vinegar on fries. She was very skeptical at first, but she loved it. And I have converted her to the ways of 5 Guys. And for that, our thighs will never be the same.

All in all it was a great birthday weekend. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed myself from beginning to end.

Now, back to real life! There's so much going on this week. Stay tuned for some amazing craziness!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh.. yum, vinegar on fries!!

    Oh my, you wanted to tell them you didn't want to pull a 'Sharon Stone'. Yikes1
    No matter - you look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.