Friday, October 08, 2010

31 Days of Service, Day 7- Be The Match



These are the beautiful faces of Rylee and Karen Ewing. Rylee is Karen's baby. Karen is one of my high school BFF's. When I look at Rylee all I can see is a little tiny version of Karen. And I love it.
Rylee is 4 years old and has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma. She has already begun chemo, and in a few more weeks will get a bone marrow aspiration and possible bone marrow donation.
I wanted to do so much more for Karen and her family. (Rylee also has a dad and 3 other siblings.) But what can a cash-strapped friend on the other side of the country do? What could I do to really serve or help them out? I really and truly prayed my heart out over this one. And the answer was plain as day-

Bone Marrow Typing

I had heard that it was expensive and painful to get tested to donate bone marrow. NOT TRUE!!
I found BeTheMatch.org a foundation that makes it easy, pain-free, and FREE to test you for bone marrow typing! It took me less than 10 minutes to fill out the form on their website, and less than a week to receive the kit. And you can see in the video below just how quick and easy it is to actually do the test!!

Please watch the videos below to see how EASY it is, and to learn more about bone marrow type testing!! (forgive the crudity of the videos, i'm working on making them much better! but it may not be possible, so until then, watch, and then go donate!!)



This past year I have lost my grandfather to cancer, as well as Sandy Gresko just last week. And in the Spring, my 10 yr old buddy Oliver was also diagnosed with cancer (and he's kicked its butt! GO OLIVER!!)! And now Rylee is in for the fight of her life. I never would have imagined that I would know so many people in such a short time to get cancer.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE consider donating your bone marrow!! You have seen how incredibly easy it is to get in the database. It is just that easy to save someone's life!! And if for some reason you don't want to, please, please, please consider making a donation to either Be the Match or to Rylee's fun!

THANK YOU!!!!

Love you Karen and Rylee!!

3 comments:

  1. Ewingfamily9911:26 AM

    This is FANTASTIC! How very thoughtful of you, Thank you so very very much!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:11 PM

    a great Idea consider me an unbitter lemming. I have just ordered my swabs. You blathering about this as pushed me into action if you are short a day of service person consider this my addition to your goal.

    a generally bitter but not today guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Sisty Ugler Here,

    That lisp is so weird. No, you don't sound like that in real life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.