Monday, March 26, 2012

To date, or not to date. I hate this question.


At one point in time this blog was somewhat about dating, adventures in business travel, and my ever so exciting social life.
That was a very long time ago.
Now I have almost no social life to speak of, can't remember the last time I went on a date, and business travel involves walking from my bedroom to the tv room.
*sigh*
And yet in 4 weeks I have a wedding to attend. Not just any wedding, my little sister's wedding. This is a very traditional, formal wedding. (Not a temple Mormon wedding.) The kind with dancing, and a seated dinner. (And please, please not a boring receiving line for 3 hours reception.) (I'm in the wedding party. I have no desire to stand in a receiving line all night. I don't even go through receiving lines when I attend wedding receptions. BORING.)
Which brings me to my point. At LDS weddings we don't care about bringing dates to wedding receptions. (Why? Because 9 times out of 10, it is just a receiving line with a few appetizers served. You stand around, shake a hand or two, eat something, and leave. Mormon weddings are painfully not exciting, let alone formal or traditional. Unless you are the couple getting married.) But, since this is hardly what I'd call an LDS wedding, I'm debating on whether or not I should bring a date? Or do I risk it and be the old maid with no date at her baby sister's wedding? Or if I bring a date am I going to have to spend the next six months to a year explaining it was just a date, and no, he's nothing serious? (Because, yes, that is what will happen.) No, I don't care what other people think. But I also don't want to have to spend the whole evening dancing with my nephews. I've seen the guest list. No single men my age.
But then, when you see just how truly awful I look in the bridesmaid's dress, you will also understand my hesitancy to ask someone to be seen with me all night. (It's a lovely dress. I actually helped pick it out. However, the color is just about the worst possible color on me possible. I look downright sickly and odd in it.)
Yes, all shallow problems. But nonetheless, things that are forced upon us in the "first world."
It makes me miss living in a developing country where I would never care about such things.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:26 PM

    It sounds like you shouldn't take a date and just enjoy being hit on by eligible single men there. (despite the fact that they aren't your age.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:18 PM

    bring a friend(male or female doesn't matter) just someone fill the social void and don't worry about the impression the family has of your relationship. No explantions given or needed. enjoy and honor your sister. It is her day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleanor11:03 PM

    Go solo Erin! It seems that's what you want validated. It really is OK. You'll enjoy yourself so much better -- no one to worry about during your sister's wedding, right? Dance with your nephews, just dance! I hope you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Erin!

    Stumbled across your blog this evening as a result of typing in "being a single Mormon sucks".
    Don't worry, I'm not going to go off on a rant. The first thing I looked at was your being single poster, which I promptly borrowed (or stole), to use on a face book post.

    Just thought I would say thanks for the smile and a refreshing mature view on being a single mormon in the church. Granted from a sister's point of view, but try finding a mature guys site some time. *sheesh*

    Oh and take someone to the wedding. Sometimes it's just plain fun to be the instigator sometimes :)

    G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Working Girl

Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...

Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.